Apple Pie Jam with Bourbon is a low-sugar cooked jam made with Pomona’s Universal Pectin and adapted from Pomona’s Apple Pie Jam recipe by Kim Pedley of Township Valley Farm in Browns Valley, California. Pomona’s Universal Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. Kim says: “I made this Apple Pie Jam with Bourbon for gifts. I used a combination of apples (Honey Crisp, Opal, Green Dragon, and Pink Lady) for a great layered flavor.”
Servings 5 cups
- 3 to 4 pound apples 9 to 12 medium apples
- ¼ cup up to ½ cup water
- 4 cups of cooked apple sauce with some apple chunks from ingredients above
- 2 teaspoons calcium water see step #1
- ¼ cup lemon juice bottled
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 Tablespoons Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey
- 2 teaspoons Bourbon Vanilla
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin mixed with sweetener
- Before you begin, prepare calcium water.To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well.Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
- Peel, core, and chop all the apples except one. Put the chopped apples into a sauce pan with the water. Bring to a simmer and simmer covered, stirring and mashing occasionally, until you have fairly smooth apple sauce.
- Meanwhile, chop the final apple into small pieces and put into a separate small sauce pan with a little water and simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes until fork tender. Stir the apple chunks into the apple sauce. Remove from heat and measure out 4 cups of apple sauce and apple chunks.
- Put measured amount of cooked apple sauce with chunks into sauce pan.
- Add calcium water, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, and mix well.
- Measure full amount of sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar. Set aside.
- Bring fruit mixture to a full boil. Add pectin-sugar mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin.
- Add the Bourbon Whiskey and the vanilla extract now and stir well. Once the jam returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
- Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.