Berry Blitz Jam is a low-sugar cooked jam made with Pomona’s Universal Pectin.Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. This recipe is from the kitchen of Charlotte Levy, The Seasonal Gourmet, a Pomona’s jam maker in Southern California who sells her jams at the Farmers Market in Ramona.
Servings 7 cups
- 5 cups mashed mixed berries I use raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and just a touch of blackberries
- 5 teaspoons calcium water see step #1
- 5 Tablespoons lemon juice bottled
- 1½ to 2½ cups sugar Charlotte uses 2½ cups
- 2½ to 2¾ teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin mixed with sweetener
- Before you begin, prepare calcium water.To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well.Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
- Combine measured fruit in a Dutch oven or heavy, deep sauce pan.
- Add calcium water and lemon juice, and mix well.
- Measure sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar. Set aside.
- Bring fruit mixture to a full boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add pectin-sugar mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the jam comes back up to a boil. Once the jam returns to a full boil, time for 1 minute and remove it from the heat. Stir for a couple of minutes and skim foam (if desired).
- Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.