Blue Spice Rombauer Jam Cake is adapted by Becky Hoff from the 1975 edition of Joy of Cooking, the well-known cookbook by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker.
Servings 1 7-inch cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon sifted
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup blueberry, raspberry or blackberry jam
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans, almonds or walnuts
- For the quick brown-sugar icing:
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons butter softened
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 7-inch tube pan or Bundt pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in sour cream.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until barely blended.
- Stir in jam and nuts.
- Pour into buttered pan.
- Bake until done, about 30 minutes.
- When cool, invert the cake onto a platter and ice with quick brown-sugar icing.
- Make the icing:Combine brown sugar, cream, butter, and salt and cook slowly to the boiling point. Remove from heat. Cool slightly, then add vanilla. Beat the icing until it can be spread.