Fig Pizza, which uses Fig Jam in place of tomato sauce, was submitted by Darcie Durr, who made Balsamic Fig Jam using Pomona's basic Fig Jam recipe, with the addition of 1 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar per cup of mashed fig. General directions for making Balsamic Vinegar Jams can be found on our website. Darcie says: I love figs! And lucky for me, fig trees do surprisingly well in my little corner of the Pacific Northwest (not far from where Pomona’s Universal Pectin was born in Arlington, WA).Our two fig trees were dripping with luscious green and purple figs this September and October, and I wanted to make them last. I also wanted to find a less-sweet alternative to the commercial fig jam we’ve been buying for our family’s favorite weeknight dinner – Fig Pizza!In searching online for fig jam recipes, I came across Pomona’s Universal Pectin. I was intrigued. And so the Pomona’s recipe for Balsamic Fig Jam was the first thing I canned. Ever.For my first batch, I used 4 cups of mashed figs, ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, and ½ cup of honey, in addition to the other ingredients called for in the recipe. For my second batch, I used ¾ cup turbinado sugar in place of the honey. Both are the minimum recommended amounts of balsamic vinegar and sweetener. The results are exactly what I wanted!The jam is perfect for making Fig Pizza – fresh tasting, sweet but not cloying, and so satisfying. It is noticeably less sweet than the Fig Pizza I used to make with commercial fig jams, but my gives it a five star rating. Bon appetit!
Option: I had been gifted with many figs this year and had made some Balsamic Fig Jam, so had to try this pizza. I topped the jam with caramelized red onions, sautéed mushrooms, and crumbled blue cheese. Amazingly delicious! Paul was skeptical, but he loved it too. – Mary Lou Any pizza dough can be used for this recipe, here is one of our favorites: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/basic-pizza-dough.html
Servings 1 pizza
- 1 recipe of your favorite pizza dough or 16 oz. prepared ball of dough see note
- 1 to 1 ½ cups of Fig Balsamic Jam
- 2-3 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Blue cheese crumbles optional
- Prosciutto cut into 1” strips optional
- Preheat oven and prepare dough according to recipe or package directions. Roll out dough according to your personal preference for thickness.
- Spread an even layer of fig jam on the dough as you would tomato sauce.
- Top with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles, prosciutto, or figs, if desired. Bake according to recipe/package directions.