Fruit Syrup is a low-sugar or low-honey syrup made with Pomona’s Pectin, using your choice of fruit and Pomona's Pectin jam or jelly recipe.Pomona's Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. Find a retailer near you using our Store Locator under "Find a Store" tab above.
1: As with Pomona’s Jam & Jelly recipes, you can halve or quarter the recipe to make just one or two jars of syrup for immediate consumption. The syrup will last for 3 weeks in the refrigerator. 2: Remember to do your math! We've learned the hard way it is best to do the math and write it all down before you start!
Servings 5 cups
- If you are making fruit syrup from mashed fruit, find the jam recipe for that fruit in the Cooked Jam, Jelly -- Low Sugar or Honey section of the recipe sheet that comes with Pomona's Pectin.
- If you are making fruit syrup from juice, find the jelly recipe for that fruit in the Cooked Jam, Jelly -- Low Sugar or Honey section of the recipe sheet that comes with Pomona's Pectin.
- Use ¼ the amount of pectin in the jam or jelly recipe. All of the other ingredients in the recipe stay the same.
- Before you begin, prepare calcium water.To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well.Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
- Prepare fruit or juice.
- Measure mashed fruit or juice into sauce pan.
- Add calcium water and lemon or lime juice (if called for in the recipe) and mix well.
- Measure sugar or room temperature honey into a bowl. Thoroughly mix correct amount of pectin powder into sweetener. Set aside.
- Bring fruit mixture to a full boil. Add pectin-sweetener mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the mixture comes back up to a boil. Once the mixture returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
- Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.