Ginger Marmalade is a low-sugar cooked recipe made with Pomona’s Universal Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener.
Servings 4 cups
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup ginger finely chopped candied ginger or coarsely grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Bring above ingredients to a boil in a sauce pan and simmer covered on low for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, but leave in sauce pan.
- Above simmered ingredients
- ¼ cup lemon juice bottled
- 2 teaspoons calcium water see step #1
- 1 cup sugar divided (or more to taste)
- 1½ teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin mixed with sweetener
- Before you begin, prepare calcium water.To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well.Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
- Add lemon juice and calcium water to simmered ingredients in sauce pan and mix well.
- Measure sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar. Set aside.
- Bring ingredients in sauce pan to a full boil. Add pectin-sugar mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the marmalade comes back up to a boil. Once the pectin is dissolved, add another ½ cup sugar (or more to taste), stirring well.
- When marmalade returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
- Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.