Jelled Milk Dessert is a low-sweetener dessert made with Pomona’s Universal Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener.
- If you want to double the recipe, bring 4 cups of milk to nearly boiling. Turn off heat. Put 1 cup of the hot milk in a cup for immersion blender, or in food processor, or in blender. Add 4 teaspoons of Pomona’s Pectin and follow instructions above for dissolving the pectin in the milk. Return milk in pan to nearly boiling. Turn off heat, add pectinized milk, and stir well. The remaining steps are the same.
- Top chilled dessert with jam, shaved chocolate or garnish of choice.
Servings 2 cups
- 2 cups milk any kind of milk can be used
- 2 teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin powder
- 2 teaspoons calcium water Only add the calcium water if you are using milk that does not contain calcium naturally or is not calcium fortified
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or flavoring of choice
- 1/4-1/2 cup sweetener of choice optional
- Before you begin, prepare calcium water.To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well.Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Put 2 cups of milk into sauce pan (Add 2 teaspoons calcium water, if needed, and stir well.). Heat milk to nearly boiling.
- Put hot milk into cup for immersion blender, or in food processor, or in blender. Add pectin. It is very important to vent the lid (if there is one) to let steam out. Don’t use an enclosed blender that can’t be vented. Blend for 10 seconds, then stop and scrape down the sides so all pectin clumps are in or on the milk. Blend for a full minute until all powder is totally dissolved.
- Add flavor and/or sweetener, if using. Pulse another 30 seconds.
- Pour hot milk into a serving bowl or individual dishes.
- Let cool then refrigerate until firm.