No-Sugar Triple Berry Jam is a cooked jam made with xylitol and Pomona’s Universal Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. This recipe was created and contributed by Moníca Pugh, the jam maker behind Níca’s Jams & Jellies in Sioux Falls, SD, and earned Moníca a Blue Ribbon at her local Fair.
Servings 6 cups
- 2½ cups mashed strawberries
- 1½ cups mashed raspberries
- 1 cup mashed blackberries
- ½ teaspoon butter to prevent foaming
- 3 teaspoons calcium water see step #1
- 1½ cups xylitol
- 2½ teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin mixed with sweetener
- Before you begin, prepare calcium water.To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well.Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
- Wash, mash, and measure mashed strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Put measured fruit and butter into sauce pan.
- Add calcium water, and mix well.
- Measure xylitol into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into xylitol. Set aside.
- Bring fruit mixture to a full boil. Add pectin-xylitol mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the jam comes back up to a boil. Once the jam returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
- Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). When time is up, turn off heat and let jars sit in canner for 5 minutes. When 5 minutes is up, remove jars from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.