Orange-Pineapple Jelled Salad (Vegan) is a no-sugar recipe made with Pomona’s Pectin. Pomona's Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. See below for where to buy.
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Pomona’s Pectin
- 1 cup crushed unsweetened pineapple with juice fresh or canned
- 1 teaspoon calcium water see step #1
- 1/4 cup carrot washed + finely shredded
- Before You Begin, prepare calcium water.To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well. Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Pre-dissolve pectin: Bring the ¾ cup orange juice to a boil in a small saucepan and put in blender/food processor. Add the 1 teaspoon pectin and process on high for 1 minute until pectin is totally dissolved. If necessary, scrape pectin from sides of blender into juice and continue blending until all pectin is dissolved. Set aside.
- Put pineapple in a small saucepan, add calcium water, stir well, and heat to nearly boiling.
- Add pectin-orange juice to pineapple-calcium water mixture in the saucepan and stir well. Remove from heat.
- Add shredded carrot; mix well.
- Pour into a medium bowl or individual serving bowls; chill in refrigerator until firm.