Plum Jam is a low-sugar cooked jam made with Pomona’s Universal Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener.
Servings 5 cups
- 4 cups mashed plums about 2 1/2 pounds
- 4 teaspoons calcium water see step #1
- ¼ cup lemon juice bottled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin mixed with sweetener
- Before you begin, prepare calcium water.To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well.Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
- Wash, pit and chop fruit. Puree in a food processor so that the skins are chopped up well. **To soften firm fruit, bring to a boil with 1/2 cup water, simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Measure 4 cups pureed fruit into sauce pan.
- Bring fruit to a boil, turn down the heat, cover, and simmer about 30 minutes or less, stirring occasionally, until bits of plum skin are no longer visible and the mixture has even color. Remove from heat.
- Add calcium water and lemon juice or citric acid, and mix well.
- Measure sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar. Set aside.
- Bring fruit mixture to a full boil. Add pectin-sugar mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the jam comes back up to a boil. Once the jam returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
- Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.