Unsweetened Fruit Juice Jello is made with unsweetened fruit juice and Pomona’s Universal Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener or no sweetener at all.
Apple juice & white grape juice require lemon juice.
Servings 4 cups
- 4 cups unsweetened fruit juice
- 4 teaspoons calcium water see step #1
- ¼ cup lemon juice if required see note
- 4 teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin powder
- Before you begin, prepare calcium water.
- To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well.
- Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Measure juice into sauce pan.
- Add calcium water and lemon juice (if using) and mix well.
- Bring juice to a boil. Turn off heat.
- Put 1 cup boiling juice in cup for immersion blender, or in food processor, or in blender. Add pectin. It is very important to vent the lid (if there is one) to let steam out. Don’t use an enclosed blender that can’t be vented. Blend for 10 seconds, then stop and scrape down the sides so all pectin clumps are in or on the liquid. Then blend for a full minute until all powder is totally dissolved.
- Turn heat on and bring juice in pan back to a boil. Add pectin-juice to pan of hot juice. Stir well while mixture returns to full boil. Remove from heat.
- Pour hot jello into serving bowl or individual dishes. Let cool down.
- Refrigerate until well jelled.