Winter's Delight Jam is a low-sugar cooked jam made with Pomona’s Pectin. Pomona's Pectin; containing no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener.This recipe, originally an Amish recipe, was adapted from one sent to us by Nancy O’Neal of Bedford, Virginia. The original recipe used liquid pectin and a large amount of sugar. Nancy wanted to use Pomona’s and less sugar. Connie, Pomona's Pectin founder, adapted it for her. After making the jam with Pomona's, Nancy said: “My sneak taste was wonderful! Makes a great jam for toast as well as a topping for cheesecake or cream cheese and crackers. Enjoy!”
Option: Feel free to use whatever spice mix you would like. Spices should not exceed 1 teaspoon.
Servings 5 cups
- 3 cups whole fresh cranberries
- 1 orange peeled, seeded, and sections separated
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest from the above orange
- 2 cups frozen strawberries slightly thawed, sliced (or fresh)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons calcium water see step #1
- 2 cups sugar divided
- 2 teaspoons Pomona’s pectin powder mixed into sweetener
- Before You Begin, prepare calcium water.To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well. Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
- Rinse cranberries and combine cranberries and orange sections in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add strawberries, orange zest, cloves, and cinnamon. Process until finely chopped, but not pureed.
- Put processed fruit mixture into sauce pan.
- Cook mixture for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add calcium water, and mix well.
- Measure 1 cup sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar. Set aside.
- Bring fruit mixture to a full boil. Add pectin-sugar mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin.
- Add remaining 1 cup sugar once pectin is dissolved. Stir well and return to a boil. Once the jam returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat. Skim off any foam.
- Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.